How I treated my baby’s eczema (Atopic Dermatitis)

As my baby girl started going to kindergarten at the age of 6 month, a red rash started to appear on her cheeks. At first it was light, I ignored it and thought it is just a spring allergy but as the days went by, it spread out and got more and more noticeable.

We went to several dermatologists and an allergy specialist and all diagnosed my baby girl with Eczema or Atopic Dermatitis. They all suggested to treat it with steroid creams which only prevent it for a few weeks and then it bursts all over again. I felt uncomfortable using it on my girl’s soft and gentle skin and looked for natural alternatives.

After almost a year of dealing with it we got it under control now, with our daily routine I can safely say that it is almost gone. But you have to be consistent and stubborn with the following tips.

So, here we go…

  • Ensure baby stays cool and moisture-free because humidity can set off an Atopic outbreak. Dress your baby in lightweight clothing and thin blankets, and use bibs to dry drool whenever you see it.
  • Remove clothes tags and purchase 100% cotton clothes. This is to avoid fabrics that rub up against the skin and make it irritate more.
  • Keeping baths lukewarm and short to maintain moisture in baby’s skin. Use only a small amount of hypoallergenic and fragrance-free soap.
  • Oatmeal baths. Take an old sock and fill is with 3 table spoons of instant oatmeal. Tie the sock and put it in the bath while you fill it with warm water. I also squeeze the oatmeal water from the sock and rub it on the Atopic spots. Do those baths at least 3 times a week. It really made a difference for us!
  • Using a baby eczema cream. Using a moisturizer made for sensitive, irritated skin on a daily basis is a key to success. I am using pure natural Shea butter and A-DERMA cream which makes wonders. And an oatmeal based soap on the irritation areas during bath time. Apply the creams at least 3 times a day.
  • Keep your baby’s nails short to prevent scratching if your baby have the itching kind of Atopic.
  • Foods to avoid. The most suspect foods for contributing to eczema are dairy productswheatnutstomatoescitrusegg whitesshellfish and soy. Eliminate these foods from your baby’s diet one at a time to see if your child’s eczema gets better.

download

Atopic dermatitis will fade away by itself during the first 5 years of your baby’s life, for 90% of the babies. Unfortunately for the remaining 10% this condition will stay put. But as I mentioned, there are many effective treatment methods that exists today.

Eczema and breast milk

Thanks to nature, we have breast milk. I found that breast milk antimicrobial features are very useful for our Atopic condition. Rub a few drops onto the rash regularly for a few days when you’re breastfeeding and watch for a reduction in the telltale symptoms. You can also do a weekly milk bath with spoiled pumped milk you cannot use. Moreover, there has been evidence that breastfed babies may be less likely to develop Atopic than formula fed babies.

So why not give it a try? If possible of course 🙂

Check out our DIY milk bath photo-shoot post to learn how exactly to do it and make a great memory out of it!

IMG_5722edited

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s